How do you make your pores smaller? Do you: Rub a lemon on your face? Use toothpaste? Dab apple cider vinegar on your face? Make a paste with baking soda?
The beauty industry sells millions, if not billions of dollars of products that CANNOT shrink pores! They prey on consumers who don’t understand skin and how it really works! Let’s also put to rest that pores are like flowers that open up with warm water and close with cold water.
It’s just simply not true…
Pores house a hair follicle and sebaceous gland and serve as a gateway for sebum, our skin’s natural oil. A pore is just a route or a channel for these things to reach the skin’s surface.
If your pores seem to be getting bigger as you get older, you’re not imagining things: aging and sun damage also contribute to pore size. As the skin around a pore loses its firmness when we age, the pore may appear larger because of the lack of support from the surrounding tissue. Dirt inside the pore can also make it appear to be darker and more noticeable.
Then how the heck do I shrink my pores??
There is no way to permanently change your pore size. But while you can’t shrink large pores, you can make them appear smaller. Despite all of their claims and wonderful promises, toners, cleansers, or other skin care products CAN’T close your pores. Period. Pores cannot be removed!
It’s kind of like cellulite. Everybody has it. You can reduce the appearance of cellulite by spray tanning. The cellulite is still there but less noticeable right???? Right! You can do the same for your pores! You can reduce the APPEARANCE of larger pores.
With the pores that you inherited, your job is to keep them clean!
Here are some ways to keep your pores healthy:
- Trade your makeup wipes for esthetic wipes and micellar water
- Double cleanse your skin every night with a facial cleanser to keep the skin clean from dirt and makeup – my favorite is from our own line, LW Skincare Gentle Foamy Cleanser.
- Do not sleep with makeup on! That is a major skin SINNN! It will only make your pores appear bigger. – I recommend this makeup remover that is acne safe
- Avoid highlighters in your makeup – it makes them look bigger
- Use clay masks to help absorb oils, bacteria and dirt at least once a week. – I love Skinceuticals Clarifying Clay Mask
- Use non-comedogenic makeup and skin care to keep follicles clear. You can download the FREE list of pore clogging ingredients to avoid below!
- Exfoliation is vital to help slough dead skin and bacteria off of the skin. Here’s my favorite – LW Skincare Mini-Zyme Home Lymphatic Treatment.
- Retinol and AHAs will help keep pores clean
- Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water!
- Keep your skin hydrated by using hydrating masks like GlyMed’s Enzyme masque.
- Don’t pick at your skin and be gentle when washing and applying products
Remember, you are more than just your pores – you are a beautiful human being!
And more than likely you are the only one who notices them!
Thanks for checking out Skin University!! Every Friday a new post and video will be available along with a FREE download!
Go HERE to download your FREE Pore Clogging Ingredients List! 💖💖